Special Services


Students who have or are in need of Individualized Education Plans (IEP) may be served through CVA or in cooperation with the student’s resident school district. If you have specific questions or concerns, please contact the Special Services Department at CVA-Central office or your CVA teacher.

The “504″ in “504 plan” refers to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, which specifies that no one with a disability can be excluded from participating in federally funded programs or activities, including elementary, secondary or post-secondary schooling. “Disability” in this context refers to a “physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.” This can include physical impairments; illnesses or injuries; communicable diseases; chronic conditions like asthma, allergies and diabetes; and learning problems. A 504 plan spells out the modifications and accommodations that will be needed for these students to have an opportunity to perform at the same level as their peers, and might include such things as wheelchair ramps, blood sugar monitoring, an extra set of textbooks, a peanut-free lunch environment, home instruction, or a tape recorder or keyboard for taking notes.

An Individualized Education Program (IEP) is the document that describes the special education program developed and designed by the IEP team (which includes parents/guardians) to address a student’s unique needs. The IEP is the cornerstone of a quality education for each child with a disability. You can learn more about Special Education here.

Have more questions? Submit a request