CVA is committed to a positive and productive education and working environment free from discrimination, including sexual harassment. CVA prohibits the sexual harassment of students, employees and others involved in school activities, and takes seriously all reports and complaints alleging sexual harassment.
Sexual harassment is unwelcome behavior or communication that is sexual in nature when:
- A student or employee is led to believe that he/she must submit to unwelcome sexual conduct or communications in order to gain something in return, such as a grade, a promotion, a place on a sports team, or any educational or employment decision; and/or
- The conduct substantially interferes with a student’s educational performance, or creates an intimidating or hostile educational or employment environment.
Sexual harassment can occur adult to student, student to adult, student to student, adult to adult, male to female, female to male, male to male and female to female.
Examples of sexual harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Demands for sexual favors in exchange for preferential treatment or something of value. Stating or implying that a person will lose something if he/she does not submit to a sexual request. Penalizing a person for refusing to submit to a sexual advance, or providing a benefit to someone who does.
- Standing too close, inappropriately touching, cornering or stalking a person. Unwelcome touching of a sexual nature. Physical violence, including rape and sexual assault.
- Making unwelcome, offensive or inappropriate sexually suggestive remarks, rumors, comments, gestures, or jokes; or remarks of a sexual nature about a person's appearance, gender or conduct. Using derogatory sexual terms for a person.
- Distributing sexually explicit text messages, emails or pictures.
- Displaying offensive or inappropriate sexual illustrations or graffiti.
Reporting Sexual Harassment
Anyone can report incidences of harassment to any CVA school staff member or administrator. Please refer to the appropriate staff directory page here for individual contact information.
You may contact the following CVA-Central representative to receive general information about complaint procedures and/or be connected with the Title IX Officer in the appropriate CVA school district to register a grievance:
Title IX Liaison: Danielle Tupek
Fax: (509) 937-2691
3030 Huffman Road
Valley, Washington 99181
For a statewide list of school district compliance coordinators, click here.
For a copy of the sexual harassment policy and complaint procedures specific to your CVA partner district, please contact your CVA school or district office listed on the contact page at CVA.org.
Additional information is available on the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website:
Equity & Civil Rights Office