Complaints Concerning Discrimination and Harassment


What is discrimination?

Discrimination is unfair or unlawful treatment of a person or group because they are part of a defined group, known as a protected class. Discrimination may include treating a person differently or denying someone access to a program, service, or activity because they are part of a protected class, or failing to accommodate a person’s disability.

What is a protected class?

A protected class is a group of people who share common characteristics and are protected from discrimination and harassment by federal, state, or local laws. Protected classes under Washington state law include sex, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, veteran or military status, and the use of a trained dog guide or service animal.

How do I file a complaint about discrimination?

If you believe that you or your child has experienced unlawful discrimination or discriminatory harassment at school based on any protected class, you have the right to file a formal complaint. Before you file a complaint, you may wish to discuss your concerns with your student’s CVA teacher or principal, which is often the fastest way to reach resolution. Please contact your CVA school or district office listed on the here.

The following CVA-Central compliance officers also can provide information about the complaint process and/or connect you with the appropriate CVA partner district representative.

Compliance Coordinator Title IX Liaison Sect. 504/ADA Coordinator
(509) 937-2771 (509) 937-2773 (509) 937-2959


For a statewide list of school district compliance coordinators, click here.

Anyone may submit a complaint by email to; U.S. mail (Valley School District, 3030 Huffman Road, Valley, Washington 99181) or Fax: (509) 937-2691. Filing a complaint involves submitting a written statement within one year from the date of the incident, following this general process until a resolution is reached:

      Step 1: Complaint to the School District

      Step 2: Appeal to the Board of Director’s

      Step 3: Complaint to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction

For a copy of the nondiscrimination policy and complaint procedures specific to your CVA partner district, please contact your CVA school or district office listed here. Translation/interpretation services may be arranged through CVA-Central at (509) 937-2791.

To learn how to file a complaint about discrimination in a public school, click here for the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website, or for additional information about your rights contact:

      Equity & Civil Rights Office

      (360) 725-6162

Have more questions? Submit a request